For the love of cardigans.
I found this great wool sweater at the thriftshop but I don’t do pullovers. I think it’s because when I pull em over my head, all my bobbypins get yanked out, headscarf goes missing, makes for big problems! Besides I have jars full of vintage buttons that are just waiting for a spot. Really tho, that sweater made me look like a sausage!
- First you have to cut the sweater down the center. This is the scariest part cuz if you goof it up, craft time is over!
- Next turn the raw edge back and whip stitch so it’s clean and secure. At this point, you can leave it as is, which totally works or continue on.
- Pick some cool buttons. I tie a knot with the thread where the button will be, then I sew the button on. That way the button ends up where you want it.
- After that, if you have a sewing machine you can make really nice buttonholes.
- If not, measure the length of the button, make a slit and handsew around the opening. Look at another cardigan for your example.
If you’re thinking you want to do this to a sweater and need more instruction, go online! There are tutorials for everything. I’m just here to get you thinking!