My vintage junkie beach life in technicolor. Words and photos by kimi encarnacion
Stepping up onto the stage and fans that know the words to my songs better than me! Two of my favorite loves from the past couple weeks. Moonpools and Caterpillars land in the Philippines after 17 years and WOW….they welcomed us like it was yesterday! Unbelievably loyal, these fans rolled out the red carpet and smiles. They sing a long so loud we had to bring in more sound gear for the 2nd show so I could be heard over their happiness. Maybe I don’t have to say that getting back to everyday life this week has been a little tough. This experience was fantastic!!! Beyond what any of us could have imagined. I even got teary in front of the Philippines press. We felt like kids on Christmas Eve….excited beyond words!
That’s my husband Jay Jay on guitar.
Big thanks to Arpee Cabrera for these photos. She captured so much emotion!
This video encapsulates the magic of these spirited fans perfectly!! Ahhh….my head is still spinning with the colors of the Philippines! What a GREAT time!!!! I just keep pinching myself!!
After Easter, we don’t make egg salad, we make a mess! It started nice enough by rolling eggs down the hill. Then a throwing contest led to the use of baseball bats and exercise bands. This year we decided to make a real easter egg launcher. It’s easy! Get surgical tubing and a funnel at the hardware store. Drill 2 holes. Tie super sturdy square knots and you have launch (or…launcher)!
Not big on egg salad? Sounds like it’s craft time! Don’t shoot your eye out!
Aim high cuz this launcher flings em far!
More California Pixie!
You guys are spoiled! I did a santa tshirt DIY makeover last week and I guess you all loved it! Step by step instructions aren’t my cup o joy but since a few of you asked for a restyle tutorial and I wanted to cut into this lucky cat tshirt…You got it! Lucky cat is your lucky day!!
1) Turn the tshirt you want to cut into inside out.
2) Find a tshirt that fits close to how you want this new one. Lay it evenly over the top of the one you’re cutting up. Line up shoulder and side seams. That’s your makeshift makeover pattern.
3) Get some chalk and draw around the tshirt you’re using as your pattern. This gives you your sew lines.
4) Fold the tshirt in half and transfer the lines you just drew onto the other half of your tshirt. This ensures that your side seams will be symmetrical.
5) Sew it up! Sew right on top of the lines you drew. Since I used red thread on a red shirt, you can’t really see where I sewed it in the pic but it’s there.
6) Cut off the extra fabric about 1/4 – 1/2 inch from your seam line.
7) Neckline. You can leave it as is or cut it out like I did. Good idea is to fold it in half so again, it’s symmetrical.
8) Trim. I use pieces from the shirt to finish off my cut edges. You can easily leave them raw but I like to finish them. Here, I’m using the sleeve. Cutting away the part I need for my neckline.
9) You can see how I sewed that piece around the neckline. I used the baby rib trim from the crew neck I cut off to finish my sleeves. You can do whatever you want. Possibilities are endless which, is the beauty of restyle makeovers! Have fun and I hope this gives you a little DIY know how.
Click HERE to see the Santa DIY Tshirt Girly Makeover.
More California Pixie!
Today’s color wheel eye candy is my mom’s stuff. She’s a self proclaimed organization enthusiast. A sorting brainiac! And rainbow order…I just love anything in rainbow order! Enjoy this simple color treat!
This picture of the colored pencils is my favorite!
Who knows about these Tri-Chem liquid embroidery pens that were a huge rage in the 70s? The women of Utah embraced them wildly, maybe they were all across america. This was my Grandma’s set. Original canister. The embroidery hoop is made to fit over the lid exactly for storage and the tin is about a foot tall so you could store your handiwork in there as well. Form and function! So cool!
More California Pixie!
Show up anywhere with this bunny cake and the peeps will smile!! Happy Easter!
Click HERE to view the full Easter Bunny Cake post on California Pixie.
Click the link at the top of post for more bunny cake pix and how to.
More pixie fun!
Don’t stop believin’!! I found this big boxy tshirt at the thrift shop this week. Santa Claus? I had to have it! It needed help, tho. I love a good tshirt makeover!! A pair of scissors, a sewing machine and a bit of brave DIY later, I’m a pretty happy girl!
Sometimes the makeover details are a yawner (like this picture ;) so I slide em in at the bottom of my posts just in case anyone wants the juicy DIY info. I’ve already done a post on a hoodie makeover with similar info and since I’m not really a How To blogger that provides instruction, I’ll just give you the link HERE. My job is to plant the seed of creativity! Haha!!!
Here are some more DIY posts and California Pixie makeovers. Enjoy!
I spent the weekend in Utah with my parents helping my mom get her genealogy blog up and running. I was snapping pix all over the place and found this stack of vintage greeting cards on my Dad’s desk. Huge smile!!! I love old cards! The art, the colors, the paper, the old way we used to hand pen our greetings, the whole deal!
I LOVE this one that my aunt Noonie sent my Dad. She was still a kid…so funny!
Keep browsing…More California Pixie!